THE MOBILE FRAGMENTATION…
Mobile comes in different flavors, devices, operating systems, apps and so on. According to Digiday, 73% of the respondents define smartphones and tablets as mobile devices.
Marketers want to know how their efforts are performing across all of these channels. This is where cross-device comes in.
It’s the ability to tie mobile and desktop devices to the same individual and to leverage the mapping for targeting, sequencing and reporting purposes. Cross-Device is a matter of tying different devices to a single individual. The challenging part is accessing and validating the mapping.
In the industry today, there are two standard methods for obtaining cross-device mapping: deterministic and statistical. Deterministic mapping matches devices to individuals via user data, such as login information.
The statistical approach uses contextual attributes, such as IP, time of day and browsing behaviors. The deterministic approach is much more accurate, but there are only a handful of large enterprises that possess these mappings at scale (Facebook, Twitter, Google, Apple) and they keep it close to their chests.
The other source of deterministic cross-device mappings is your own data. If you require consumers to login to your site or register to make a purchase, then you can capture their mappings once they do so using multiple devices. Although these mappings are limited to your existing customers, they are a great source of data for retargeting campaigns.
Currently, the industry does not offer any third-party validation or certification of statistically derived cross-device information. However, the advantage is that these mappings have a much greater scale.
Irrespective of how you get access to cross-device data, whether it’s through first or third-party deterministic data or using a statistical data provider, here are some of the key benefits of having this data:
Accelerated Digital InCite’s™ Marketing Operating System
- Use intent data from one device to target individuals on other devices.
- Optimize and run campaigns around individuals, not just devices (e.g. setup creative sequencing or frequency caps for the individual across any device.)
- Activate data, automate execution and optimize interactions across all addressable media — delivering greater performance, transparency, and control to all marketers and a better experience to every consumer.
- Optimizes every consumer interaction, analyzing millions of potential opportunities per second to determine the optimal combination of audience, media, message and price to achieve your marketing goals.
- Integrates and executes cross-channel media and seamless workflow across RTB and programmatic premium channels — including display, video, social, mobile and emerging channels.
- On-boards, segmentation, analysis and activation of online as well as offline data management from the first-party site and CRM data to third-party data providers.
- Delivers a full spectrum of management capabilities to maximize messaging impact — from ad serving to dynamic creative, from brand safety to viewability and more.
- Powerful & flexible analysis tools provide transparent insights into performance, media, audiences, attribution and economics, to support forecasting, profiling, data mining, hypothesis validation and new insights discovery.
- Open APIs and a fully-supported developer community allow for flexible customization of solutions from analytics & dashboards to apps enabling new features & functionality, to fully customized end-to-end business solutions.